Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dinner Frustrations

Does anyone ever start to cook dinner, especially excited for what they are making and about halfway through the meal prep realize that they don't have a key ingredient?!?

Tonight, I was craving home made Chicken Garlic Pizza. So I am cooking up chicken and dicing tomatoes and green onions when I realize that we are out of mozzerella cheese! There is a grocery store less than a mile from our house so maybe I can get Joseph to stop and pick some up on his way home from school. It is just so frustrating! Now I have to come up with another dinner idea for Paige. She will be in bed by the time Joseph gets home and I get it in the oven.

Oh well, I guess that is just the way life goes sometimes..........

5 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Um, this would describe EXACTLY what happened to me tonight! Except it wasn't officially a key ingredient--just brown sugar. But an important part of the meal, nonetheless! I was already in the middle of it so I had to run to the store. I wasn't OUT of it--but it did get thrown away (thanks to Kaden)...

Point being, I get your problem! :) Hope it worked out.

Anonymous said...

Wow. The dinner delay is everywhere. I was supposed to do crab-stuffed chicken breasts tonight but I didn't start things on time. It was after lunch when I pulled the chicken from the freezer, and then I was working on scout stuff with Kellen until 430pm so the kids are having left over lasagna and I will make the chicken breasts for Steve and I later this evening, since he won't be home until after 9 anyway :)

Stephanie said...

Did everyone have chicken tonight? We had chicken teriyaki with stir-fried vegetables. Except that we didn't have any vegetables until Mom got home from grocery shopping. So I was cooking the chicken, hoping Mom would get home before the chicken and rice were done so we could actually have the full meal. Yes, I think we all have those 'missing ingredients' moments, dinner delays, all that fun stuff. Makes life interesting.

Sarah said...

I feel like I have that problem every time I try to cook something. Or, I'll spend all day thinking about what I want to make and then when I go to make it I realize that I'm missing something. I have had to improvise so many times and it really just isn't the same.

Karen said...

Ahhh...the dinner dilema! 2 times this week I have made dinner for another family and then pulled leftovers out of the fridge for us. Last night I think Bill wanted to bypass the problem...he brought home a rotisserie chicken for dinner. YUM... we made chicken sandwiches with homemade bread, it was wonderful!