As I have been reading different blogs lately, more and more people have been talking about making their home a cleanlier, happier, more peaceful place. They have also talked about getting into routines to keep the house clean. It has gotten me thinking a lot about my house and my life in general.
Add to this, last week as I was preparing for my Primary lesson, I came across this quote by Dallin H. Oaks:
"What if the day of His coming were tomorrow? If we knew that we would meet the Lord tomorrow-through our premature death or through His unexpected coming-what would we do today? What confessions would we make? What practices would we discontinue? What accounts would we settle? What forgivenesses would we extend? What testimonies would we bear?
If we would do those things then, why not now? Why not seek peace while peace can be obtained? If our lamps of preparation are drawn down, let us start immediately to replenish them."
I have thought about this quote all week. Millions of things come to my mind in checklist format of things that I would do. I feel overwhelmed, discouraged, and plain old not good enough. I feel like this race that we are all running seems SO long.
So, in pondering all this, I have decided that I need to have a routine revamp. I need to figure out what is my priorities and find some balance in my life. So often with working, especially from home, I feel like I neglect my kids. I feel like we just go through the motions to get through the day without really progressing towards any goals. I feel like I am just keeping my head above water.
I have written down daily routines a thousand times. My biggest problem is the self-discipline to keep them. Too often, I am too tired to stick to schedule or I just don't feel like it. My kids need more of my time, my house is in shambles, and every day feels SO chaotic.
So, I have really opened up during my post today so that I can renew my commitment to get on a schedule and be more balanced. So that I can fill my lamp of preparation. So that I don't have any regrets when everything is said and done. Hopefully, everyone can help keep me on track!
Add to this, last week as I was preparing for my Primary lesson, I came across this quote by Dallin H. Oaks:
"What if the day of His coming were tomorrow? If we knew that we would meet the Lord tomorrow-through our premature death or through His unexpected coming-what would we do today? What confessions would we make? What practices would we discontinue? What accounts would we settle? What forgivenesses would we extend? What testimonies would we bear?
If we would do those things then, why not now? Why not seek peace while peace can be obtained? If our lamps of preparation are drawn down, let us start immediately to replenish them."
I have thought about this quote all week. Millions of things come to my mind in checklist format of things that I would do. I feel overwhelmed, discouraged, and plain old not good enough. I feel like this race that we are all running seems SO long.
So, in pondering all this, I have decided that I need to have a routine revamp. I need to figure out what is my priorities and find some balance in my life. So often with working, especially from home, I feel like I neglect my kids. I feel like we just go through the motions to get through the day without really progressing towards any goals. I feel like I am just keeping my head above water.
I have written down daily routines a thousand times. My biggest problem is the self-discipline to keep them. Too often, I am too tired to stick to schedule or I just don't feel like it. My kids need more of my time, my house is in shambles, and every day feels SO chaotic.
So, I have really opened up during my post today so that I can renew my commitment to get on a schedule and be more balanced. So that I can fill my lamp of preparation. So that I don't have any regrets when everything is said and done. Hopefully, everyone can help keep me on track!
4 comments:
I feel exactly the same way - just rushing through each day trying to survive the chaos, and not really progressing. I'm glad that you've decided to "revamp" and work on priorities. This is something that has been going through my mind a lot as well. Not just fixing up the house, but doing more with my kids, and increasing in spirituality. It is a big responsibility, and I'm glad to know that we're not in this alone.
I think I know how you feel. I work from home (so does Dave), and it's a huge challenge to make time for home and family. The business is always there, and it's really difficult balancing work and family. Thanks for sharing the quote. With school starting, I need to get in a better routine again, and be better about including things to fill my lamp spiritually. Good luck with your revamp!
I'm with ya! Seriously sometimes I feel like I am barely floating above water and all I see around me are giant waves that will take me at any moment. :)
Thanks for the kick in the pants to want to make changes..I really need to get better about a schedule and really doing more with my kids.
oooh I NEEDED this post! Thank you!
One thing that really helps me to balance is to set specific times for specific things. (yes I actually SCHEDULE playtime with my kids) it's only 15 minutes that I schedule for each...but that doesn't necessarily mean thats ALL the time i spend with each of them all day, it just means that during that time I AM THEIRS. I don't answer the phone, clean, or do anything but give them 100% attention. We play, read, dance, whatever...they know i'm theirs during that time. (and it helps them not interrupt a phone conversation if they know they have "you and me time" in 30 minutes.) More than anything it helps me from feeling like i'm just moving through each day without and quality moments together.
Oh and I always plan our you and me time at HOME...b/c i've found that my kids need time with me to be at the house..not at the park on a playdate, because then they go off and play, and i talk to the other moms, and it isn't the same...so play dates, walks, trips to the pool, etc, don't count.
try it out, it helped me.
Post a Comment